Friday, February 14, 2014

Cleaning up and remembering the journey...

Today is a day that, under our contract, we earn in exchange for the conference time done after school hours in November.  If Snowmageddon had to happen, I'm glad it happened yesterday so many of us, and the students, get a five-day weekend.

I have been meaning to take some time and clean out some of the drawers in my sewing room. In a way, its a reflection on my journey as a quilter.  I am amazed at how much I have evolved over the last 20 years.  My first piece, a wall-hanging, was done after the stillbirth of our son.  It hangs in the kitchen and is a constant reminder that quilting, for me at least, is a form of therapy and relaxation.

On the more humorous side, I find myself thinking how many times I "jumped on the bandwagon" so to speak.  I have a drawer full of rulers, gizmos and gadgets that I had to have and have never used or do not use anymore.  I'm not really sure what to do with them.  So after clearing out somethings that did go in the trash, I was able to rearrange the contents of many of the drawers and make access to things more user friendly while taking the things I don't use and putting them in other drawers.  Needless to say there are now empty drawers that while could be filled with new 'stuff' will remain empty.

Perhaps some time soon some of these rulers, gizmos, and gadgets will be put up for sale on the blog.  I'm not sure though as I have not had too much success with selling my no longer needed books and fabric.  We'll see.  They aren't harming anyone or anything by sitting in a new drawer.  Perhaps they are admiring their new home (personification at its best... that would be the English teacher in me).

So I sit in my sewing room contemplating my journey, watching the trees move in the wind,  grateful that the sun is at least melting away some of the snow from yesterday and patiently wait the next round of snow due to arrive over night.  It's only a small storm, 2-5" predicted... the light powdery stuff that is easy to push off... to where who knows.. we are running out of room as I am sure others are as well.

Have a wonderful day quilt friends.  Take a moment and drive down memory lane.  It is amazing what memories there are.

Quilty Hugs,

Nancy


2 comments:

Sara said...

What a great philosophy to apply to that organizing process - reflecting. Like you I have quilts that trigger memories of events in our lives. I have a wall hanging that I appliqued in the hospital during a stressful 21 day health crisis with our oldest daughter. I had lots of time for handwork keeping me busy while sitting at her bedside. She's healthy now, but that wall hanging always reminds me of her recovery.

Happy V-Day!

Beth said...

Every time I need to look for an old project I do that too. I do need to organize some of my rulers, I seem to have a wee problem with collecting specialty rulers.